|Capital:||€ 1.5 million|
|Country of origin:||Germany|
|Source of wealth:||YouTuber|
Anyone who talks about YouTuber must also talk about Gronkh. With several million subscribers as well as a lot of wit and warmth, the Braunschweig-born has driven and revolutionized the gaming scene.
Gronkh was born in April 1977 in Braunschweig, Lower Saxony. His real name is Erik Range, so his pseudonym has nothing to do with his real name. The mother of the later YouTube star comes from Russia, the father is German. Gronkh has an older brother and, as a child, was enthusiastic about the computer games that would later become his profession.
After school, Gronkh did community service in a kindergarten and then did his high school diploma. This was followed by training as a computer scientist. At the age of nineteen the young man founded an internet agency for programming and web design, later he switched to MDO Games. In the 2000s and late 90s, Gronkh earned his money as a game developer, programmer and graphic designer.
Gronkh founded his YouTube channel in 2006, but has only been uploading videos there since 2010. For the most part, he publishes Let’s Play videos on the channel, playing and commenting on video and computer games. He is characterized by his humor. His Minecraft Let’s Play was particularly well received by the audience. Gronkh got the idea for this format because he wanted to publish game reviews. He now also has his own channels for RPGs or retro games, for example.
During his work as a game master at Meridian 59, Gronkh got to know the YouTuber Sarazar (bourgeois Valentin Rahmel). Together with him, he now runs the Superhomies channel, where they document trips and try typical food. Gronkh and Sarazar also founded PlayMassive GmbH, which operates a portal for PC game journalism, among other things. In 2015 they released the dungeon game “Looterkings”.
In 2014, Gronkh reached the milestone of one billion views on its channel. Subsequently, he also appeared in the television and cinema business. In 2018 and 2019, the YouTuber made several appearances in Neo Magazin Royale and took on various synchronization roles in games and films. These include “The Witcher 3”, “Alien Covenant”, “Planet of the Apes: Survival” and “Spider Man: A New Universe”.
Gronkh’s biggest success was probably his Minecraft Let’s Play. It was released over a period of several years and has more than 1200 episodes. The first episode alone was viewed 14 million times, and the series was extremely popular from the start. The “Last Man Standing” web show, in which several YouTubers play against each other, enjoys similar fame. The live stream of the event had a million viewers.
From 2012 to 2014, Gronkh and Sarazar ran the web show “Let’s Play Together”. An XXL episode with 4,000 viewers was even broadcast live by Gamescom 2013. Later the Let’s Play for the video game “Dead by Daylight” became extremely popular, which Gronkh played together with YouTubers Pandorya, Tobinator, Herr Currywurst. They aired 99 episodes in six months.
In total, Gronkh has almost 5 million subscribers today. He was the most subscribed YouTuber in Germany for two years, and is still high up in the ranking today. In 2014 he was inducted into the Hall of Fame of the Berlin Computer Game Museum to honor his fame in the German gaming scene. For the same reason, Gronkh was awarded a national honorary award at the web video awards the following year.
– “Sometimes you feel like iron in the wall. You don’t move forward in life, you don’t go backwards and you feel forgotten by everyone. ”
– “It often seems that those are the ‘bad guys’ from whom one would at least be expected, who should actually protect us, who should actually be there for us.”
– “No matter what low point you are in, as long as you don’t forget to laugh, life is beautiful.”
– “This country needs more air to breathe.”
– The name “Gronkh” was invented by Erik Range and has no real meaning. The word has been patented since 2012.
– Gronkh hosted a poker show several times, but later resigned because he didn’t want to promote gambling.
– As a teenager, Gronkh was active in hip-hop under the pseudonym “das e”.
– The “Friendly Fire” livestream conducted by Gronkh is a fundraiser that has already supported many charitable projects such as cancer aid, animal welfare organizations and depression relief.
– When he reached 200 subscribers, Gronkh covered on his channel as a special video “The Best” by Silbermond.